For many people, the name Roomba is synonymous with robot vacuum cleaners. Roomba has been known to produce a number of vacuum cleaners that have served us immensely.
Like those before it, the Roomba 980 has been described by users as a dutiful and meticulous helper that helps keep their houses spotless clean. Its companion application is also known to work well and efficiently.
One interesting fact about vacuum robots from Roomba is that they all look the same. If you have seen one, you have seen them all. The Roomba 980 is circular with black trimmings. Additionally, this device has a near futuristic design.
Its circular design creates one major problem; it is not able to clean corners effectively. In this article, I will be reviewing the Roomba 980 robot vacuum cleaner together with its pros and cons.
Performance and Features
- Power-Lifting Suction delivers 10X the air power* for improved pick-up performance. Automatically increases cleaning performance on carpets with Power Boost *(Compared to Roomba 600 Series and AeroVac System)
- Patented iAdapt 2.0 Navigation with vSLAM technology allows the robot to map its surroundings to clean an entire level of your home, around objects, and under furniture.
- Ideal for homes with pets. Premium 3-stage Cleaning System cleans the dirt and pet hair you see and the allergens and dust you don't.
- Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes adjust and flex to stay in constant contact with carpets and hard floors.
- High-Efficiency Filter traps 99% of cat and dog allergens.
We are all aware that robotic vacuum cleaners are quite costly. This being the case it is important that you get your money’s worth by buying a device that operates effectively. The Roomba 980 is, currently, one of the most technologically advanced robotic vacuums in the market. The device has a built in camera that helps it navigate through your house as it does its job.
Additionally, it uses a pre-planned system that enables it to clean every bit of your house thoroughly. The virtual wall technology helps this device avoid obstacles like tables, stands, stairs and walls.
One of the most amazing features of this device is the block off feature. For example, if you do not want the device to venture into certain areas of your house, this feature allows you to mark those areas as block off.
This device is fitted with lithium-ion batteries that give it longevity; this enables it to clean your house without recharging it frequently. When set in regular mode, the Roomba 980 can work for 120 minutes thanks to its lithium-ion batteries.
It also has a recharge and resume feature, which in my view makes it incredibly effective. For example, if the battery runs low during its operations, the device returns to its docking station for a recharge; and afterward, it continues with its duties.
- Visual navigation
- AeroForce Cleaning System
- Carpet boost
- Automatic recharging
- Recharge and resume
- Multi room navigation
- iRobot home app
- Auto schedule
From the above features, it is easy to see that this is one of the best robot vacuum cleaners in the market. Be that as it may, nothing is perfect. This device has some notable advantages and disadvantages that I will look into in the next section of the article.
Pros and Cons of the Roomba 980
- Easy and intuitive app control – once you install the device’s companion mobile app, you will be able to unlock more functions. The device also offers its users help full feedback such as a map of where it has cleaned before among other things.
- Long lasting batteries – batteries for the Roomba 980 can last up to 120 minutes before they are recharged. This is because the device utilizes lithium-ion batteries that are of high quality.
- Built in camera – its built in camera is specifically built to ensure that the device is able to effectively navigate through your home or office as it cleans.
- Recharge and resume – this feature enables the Roomba 980 to return to its docking station for recharge once the battery levels go down.
- It is very loud
- It is quite expensive
- It is not effective at picking up pet hair
- It is not easy to empty
- It does not clean well around edges and corners.
This device has been designed and constructed by the original purveyors of robotic vacuum cleaners. However, there has been stiff competition from other companies since the debut of Roomba.
This is not to say that the Roomba 980 is not a top notch robotic vacuum cleaner. It has enhanced capabilities and is designed in a very stylish but futuristic manner.
The most impressive thing about this device is the fact that it is so easy to use. Even the most technophobic individuals will have an easy time operating this device. By and large, the Roomba 980 lives up to its reputation of being dutiful and meticulous.
You can find more robot vacuum reviews here.
Last update on 2019-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API